WELCOME YA'LL

Thanks for stopping by -


IT IS MY GREAT REGRET THAT I MUST TELL YOU ALL THAT MUSICMEIHO, CANDY..HAS PASSED AWAY THIS WEEK.

I WILL TRULY MISS MY FRIEND AND MUSIC MENTOR.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

SOULSVILLE SINGS HITSVILLE (STAX SINGS MOTOWN)


Boomp3.com
Review by Steve Leggett

This delightful and often revelatory collection features Southern soul makeovers of Motown hits by the musicians and producers at Stax Records, a sort of Memphis meets Detroit knock down that pretty much reveals that soul is soul wherever it's found, whether north or south. Here the elegant pop veneer of several Motown hits are given a layer of grit, grease and gospel fire, and while these renditions don't replace the classic originals, they certainly augment them, revealing new grooves and pockets. Among the highlights are the Staple Singers' 1971 version of the Temptations' "You've Got to Earn It" which morphs the song into revival meeting territory, a blistering "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" by the Mar-Keys, also from 1971, a sparse and striking (and brief) take on "I Hear a Symphony" by Booker T. & the MG's, a country soul make over of "I Wish It Would Rain" by O.B. McClinton, and an epic, 12-minute horn-driven instrumental (and previously unreleased) rave-up of the ominous riff and rhythm of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" by the Bar-Kays from 1973. The end result of all this is the sound of Motown plunged into deep soul territory, and it underscores the solid, brilliant songwriting that Motown Records stood for in its prime, because nothing here suffers one bit for the restructuring. Oh, and it makes for one hell of a party record.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soulsville Sings Hitsville (Stax Sings Songs Of Motown Records) (2008) [209k VBR]


01 - Stop! In The Name Of Love (Single Version) - Margie Joseph.mp3
02 - I Don't Know Why I Love You - David Porter.mp3
03 - You've Got To Earn It - The Staple Singers.mp3
04 - Can I Get A Witness - Calvin Scott.mp3
05 - Reach Out (I'll Be There) - The Mar-Keys.mp3
06 - Never Can Say Goodbye - Isaac Hayes.mp3
07 - My Cherie Amour - Billy Eckstine.mp3
08 - Oh, Be My Love - Barbara Lewis.mp3
09 - I Hear A Symphony - Booker T. & The MG's.mp3
10 - Chained (Alternate Take) - Mavis Staples.mp3
11 - Ask The Lonely - John Gary Williams.mp3
12 - Signed, Sealed, Delivered - The Soul Children.mp3
13 - Someday We'll Be Together - Frederick Knight.mp3
14 - I Wish It Would Rain - O.B. McClinton.mp3
15 - I Heard It Through The Grapevine - The Bar-Keys.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?l6nsnvtholg

Anonymous said...

Thanks

Anonymous said...

excellent stuff as usaual Thanks for this stax, it is really good

Messiah of Soul Power Music Group said...

i can't wait to hear this one....Chris knows how i feel about STax! Love that label! Thanks Musicmeiho! Peace


Messiah

Dreamer456 said...

Thanks Musicmeiho. Can't wait to listen to this one. Appreciate it.